Wednesday, September 2, 2020

September 2, 2020


My new book: Aliens, Robots & Virtual Reality Idols in the Science Fiction of H. P. Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov and William Gibson can now be pre-ordered.

It is available from my publishers, and also, on Google Books, Amazon, Waterstones, Thrift Books and Walmart.com.

Please pick up a copy- it was fun to write & you will enjoy reading it (books that are fun to write are always fun to read).

In the book, I demonstrate that there is ultimately little difference between alien indifferentism & alien inclusionism in the fictional works of these three great writers; the robots and the VR idols evolve into monsters whose actions bring about outcomes which are every bit as terrifying as anything in Lovecraft’s work.

Best wishes everyone!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aliens-Robots-Virtual-Reality-Idols-in-the-Science-Fiction-of-H-P-Lovecraft-Isaac-Asimov-and-William-Gibson-Paperback/664496939

1 comment:

  1. Professor Steadman:
    I just tried writing you at the email address we had communicated with back in 2016. I was stunned to find it was so long ago! Anyway, I'm going to copy and paste the mail I just tried to send you that failed.

    Professor Steadman:
    I've always wondered when that book of yours about Lovecraft's Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath was going to come out. Just about the time that the Covid situation started, I had planned on dropping by LCC to see when your office hours were, or when one of your classes occured. Today, I went looking for your name and found you had an Amazon page, and a new book coming out in October. BUT IT'S NOT THE DQofUK BOOK!!!! Granted, it does sound very interesting, and I plan on ordering it at the beginning of October as my monthly $$$s for books quota had reached its limit (but you may be flattered but no richer to find that I then pushed it anyway when I looked up, found online and ordered a back issue of New Dawn with "Aliens: Extra-Terrestrial or Trans-Dimensional?" (Is it a coincidence that Jacque Vallee had an article in that issue? I saw his name on the cover ordering icon). What has become of your Lovecraftian book? Is it on hold, or dead for lack of publisher interest or some other unholy fate? Lost somewhere, perhaps, with Harley Warren? - Keith


    On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM John Steadman wrote:
    Hi Keith,


    I remember you very well; that was a fun day talking with you and my old school chum, Joe Stewart.

    My second book is H. P. Lovecraft's Magickal Persona & the Cthulhu Mythos; it is 117,000 words or so, 343 pages and entirely written; I sent it to my publishers two months ago and they are mulling it over; I hope they decide to publish it.
    After our discussion of Randolph Carter, incidentally, I decided to include a chapter on the three major Carter stories, including the revision of Price's manuscript; Carter is certainly an important magickal persona and I didn't want to exclude him from the book.

    Sincerely,


    John

    ReplyDelete