Thursday, September 8, 2016

September 8, 2016

I am holding a book signing for H. P. Lovecraft & the Black Magickal Tradition (2015) at the Barnes & Noble bookstore on the Georgia Tech University campus in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, September 24, 2016.   The signing will begin at 12 PM and will conclude as late as I can manage, probably 6 PM or thereabouts.

The Georgia Tech University is one of the most prestigious universities in the US and is host to a large group of Lovecraft fans and aficionados, or so I’ve been told, and I want to spend as much time with them as possible. The bookstore is located on 48 5th Street NW Atlanta, GA, 30308.  The landline is (404) 894-2515.  More information about the bookstore can be obtained at https://www.yelp.com/biz/barnes-and-noble-georgia-tech-bookstore-atlanta

H. P. Lovecraft was the foremost fantasist of the 20th century and his work continues to have an influential effect on our literature and our culture.  In addition, Lovecraft rightly holds a place among the most advanced thinkers of his time and indeed, of the 21st century, and it is fitting for me, and for everyone, in fact, to acknowledge this and to pay homage to this truly great man.

I will be talking about these issues and contingent matters at the signing; anything, in short, that my guests want to talk about.  But I will, also, be having a great time, and I want the people who come out to see me to have a good time as well.

It is autumn; the pumpkin season; the time of Halloween; the time of life and death; and we can talk about all of this and celebrate it and commiserate on the death of the season.  But death is life and life can be eternal life!

So, Lovecraft fans in Atlanta, come out!  See me!  And pick up a copy of my beautiful book!

I want to thank, also, my hosts at the recent Carnival of Para Horror in Buffalo, New York.  I attended the Carnival at the end of August and gave a presentation on Saturday, 8/27/16 and an encore presentation on Sunday, 8/28/16.  The presentation was “H. P. Lovecraft’s Cosmic Weird Tales & the Cinema” and it was a lot of fun; I had good turnout, particularly on Sunday and the guests were very lively and enjoyable.

The Carnival itself was quite a spectacular event.  It was held in the historic Grand Central Terminal in Buffalo; a magnificent, delightfully spooky building.  And the attendees and guests fit right into this atmosphere!  There were extravagantly costumed figures!  There were strange cries reverberating out of the darkness!

The great author and publisher Corvis Nocturnum was there; I’ve always wanted to meet him and I finally did so in the perfect environment.  I also met Eugene Clark, the star of The Land of the Dead, which is one of my all-time favorite zombie films.  And I sold a few books as well, which is always 
pleasing to my accountant!

I would urge everyone to mark down on their calendars the date for next year’s Carnival of Para Horror.  This will be posted on their website when the time is ripe. It would be hard to find a more enjoyable, entertaining event!  It’s a guaranteed good time for everyone who loves horror and the paranormal, and really, who doesn’t.

JLS

No comments:

Post a Comment